The head Internal Audit is responsible for providing reasonable assurance to the Board, Audit Committee and Management that the Media Zone Authority’s (MZA) internal controls promote efficiency and reduce the risk of loss, as well as help ensure the reliability of financial statements and compliance with laws and regulations. Extends advice and recommendations to the Executive Body on means of enhancing internal control and cost reduction of the Company’s operations. To achieve this, the DIA is accountable for creating, leading and maintaining an effective Internal Audit function in the achievement of the annual risk based audit plan of activities. This position also provides a consultancy service to management.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop an integrated long term business plan for the internal audit department to describe the necessary activities, resources, targets, milestones, costs and deliverables to achieve the business goals.
- Oversee the development, communication and execution of an annual departmental budget.
- Ensure all staff has clear objectives, regular performance feedback sessions, formal annual appraisals, and individual development plans, with particular emphasis on the development of Talented Emirati National Staff.
- Provide guidance to Audit Manager in order to ensure that work is completed in a satisfactory manner and assist in the professional development of staff members.
- Ensure and facilitate the employment, training and development of UAE nationals within the organization.
- Manage existing partnerships and relationships with business partners and other stakeholders with the intent of protecting and ensuring MZA’s business interests.
- Lead the internal audit department in ensuring a clear strategy and plans are in place to support the business in achieving its goals.
- Lead and direct the management of change in the business environment through continuous improvement and proactive action plans.
- Establish appropriate policies, procedures, standards and expectations to ensure the business delivers results.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of MZA’s organizational structure that makes optimal use of resources and supports the business in delivering results.
- Lead MZA to “well controlled” by providing support as appropriate e.g. direct the provision of implementation support for management/audit committee action plan.
- Be a part of various committees within MZA and influence their programs as well as support their programs with audit follow up work where checking is required.
- Play an active role in the tendering and selection of the external auditors and once selected actively coordinate with external auditors during to ensure audit plans are adhered to.
- Coordinate with Statutory Auditors and the Abu Dhabi Accountability Authority (ADAA).
- Review the Financial Reports received from the external auditors on the adequacy of accounting procedures and controls, and observance of financial rules and regulations.
Education, Experience & Skills
- IFRS familiarity and practice
- Corporate governance requirements
- Risk assessment methodologies and mitigation techniques
- Internal control theory and practice
- Communication and report writing skills
- 7-10 years internal auditing experience within the commercial sector with at least 7 years in a senior management positions
- Experience in internal auditing/consulting with one of the Big 4 is required
- International and UAE regional experience
- Exposure to, or experience of, Board and Audit Committees
- Degree or equivalent